Roe (or memory eggs) are remnants of memories expelled from a body when it dies in Kaiba.
Memories are manifested as glowing golden blobs that float upwards from the body and escape enclosed areas into space. Sometimes roe will collect and flow in a river formation through the universe.
Kaiba demonstrates it is possible to gather memory eggs before they escape from a recently deceased body, combine them with the body, and "regrow" the individual. He does this by injecting the components into an empty Warp clone sac.
If an individual transfers their memories into a memory chip roe will not be released upon their bodies death, and the memories can be transferred into a different body or stored.
Memory chips without bodies, as well as roe trapped within memory tanks, are usually desperate to escape their current confinement.
- In episode one, chips of family and friends of the "below" community on Lala are plugged into a machine that allows them to communicate with living people. The citizens hunt through a large communal box of chips and insert one after another searching for people they recognize. Each voice begs to be "released" or given a new body, exclaiming how terrible and boring it is "in here."
- The memory eggs/spirits held within tanks in the Memory Tower in "A Muscular Woman" express anger and disgust at their confinement. They are imprisoned for the entertainment of living individuals, and they want to be released.
- "Roe" refers to "the fully ripe internal egg masses in the ovaries, or the released external egg masses of fish and certain marine animals, such as shrimp, scallop and sea urchins. As a seafood, roe is used both as a cooked ingredient in many dishes and as a raw ingredient." (definition taken from Wikipedia.)
- Roe in Kaiba is similar in appearance to salmon roe, a commonly used ingredient in Japanese cuisine.
- Eggs are a symbol of life in numerous cultures around the globe.
Click here to view the gallery.